HomeInfrastructureUnderground line to close for 17 weeks as major upgrade completes

Underground line to close for 17 weeks as major upgrade completes

WEEKLY NEWSLETTER SIGN UP

Transport for London (TfL) has released a new update on progress being made at the Bank Tube station upgrade – as it makes an announcement about the final phase of work, and closures, that will be needed.

So far, the project has seen 200,000 tonnes of material excavated from under the City of London, to allow for a new Northern line tunnel as well as improved customer routes.

The final phase will be carried out during a 17-week closure of the Bank branch of the Northern line from 15 January until mid-May 2022. The closure will allow teams to complete works required to connect the new tunnels to the existing railway and install new signalling. It will also allow for a fit-out of the new station, and the installation of final track sections. New tunnels will be completed, and new systems integrated into the station.

Work on a new escalator to the Central line from the new customer areas at the Bank upgrade.

A full communication campaign in the lead up to the closure will advise commuters of alternative routes they can take, and how other services will change to compensate.

Improvements at Bank will include a new station entrance with direct access to the Northern line on Cannon Street, a new southbound Northern line platform, and a new circulating area to give customers more space.

The new Northern line entrance on Cannon Street.

This will, TfL says, solve long-standing capacity issues at the station and make journeys through Bank easier, quicker and more comfortable.

Stuart Harvey, Transport for London.

Director of major projects for TfL, Stuart Harvey, said: “Bank station has a vital role to play in London’s recovery from the pandemic. The changes to the station will transform the experience of every customer that uses Bank and will help the City as it continues to recover and people return to the area.

“I am proud of the work our staff, contractors and everyone associated with the project has put into this vital upgrade and I look forward to that work being complete next year, but I am sorry that this vital and complex work will cause disruption.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest news

Fearne Cotton and Paul Merson join Rail Wellbeing Live 2021

TV presenter Fearne Cotton and footballer-turned-pundit Paul Merson have been announced as speakers for Rail Wellbeing Live. They join more than 100 others giving presentations...

Train hits buffers at Enfield station

An eight-car London Overground train travelling at slow speed hit buffers at Enfield station at around 08:20 on Tuesday 12 October 2021. Around 50 people...

Dartmoor line services set to resume after almost half a century

After almost 50 years, the Dartmoor line between Okehampton and Exeter is set to reopen.  Services will resume from 20 November, ahead of the originally set schedule. The...
- Advertisement -

More news

Keltbray takes over NMNC’s infrastructure assets

Keltbray Holdings, the specialist engineering and construction company, has agreed to acquire a portfolio of Infrastructure contracts and associated assets from the liquidators of...

World Cup of Stations returns for third year

Voting has commenced for the Rail Delivery Group’s annual World Cup of Stations competition. In 2020, Glasgow Queen Street was voted the winner, after a...

Business performance improvement specialist wins first rail contracts

Mace Dragados JV, the principal contractor redeveloping London Euston station for HS2, has awarded a six-figure contract to business performance improvements firm STC Insiso. The...
NEWSLETTER SIGN UP